Re: how to start gnome from the command line

On 11/12/2010 9:19 PM, teddieeb@tmo.blackberry.net wrote:
You know;

I know this is an unenlightened response, but sometimes it's easier than de bugging.

I would apt-get purge the gnome packages you have installed (purge removes config files too) and then apt-get install the gnome-core package mentioned earlier; which should install and config x as well.

Only thing that I would watch is when you issue the purge command and see what's to be removed, I have seen apt totally thrash entire systems removing dependences and such on major system components. Should be fine, but be aware of what the system is doing

Hope it's helpful;
TeddyB

I second this, but would like to point out or remind that apt has the -s option, for simulate, so you can see the effect of the apt-get command before you try it for real.