Re: new cpu amd 810 Quad core (with 900 pins) some pins are bent any idea how to fix?

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 14:35:10 -0700, Bob wrote in message
<[🔎] 20101112213510.GD12217@hysteria.proulx.com>:

> Mitchell Laks wrote:
> > ... they bent some of the pins...
> > there are about 900 !!!
>
> 938 pins

..grab your and empty your 0.3 or 0.5mm mechanical pencil, slip
its lead tube over each pin and bend them home, one by one. ;o)

..multiple pins can be "plowed" ;o) or bent home
simultaneously with a knife, usually takes several
passes along "the lanes."

> > Now it wont install into the socket AM3.

..you _are_ sure both the cpu and socket are AM3?

> > however it still resists putting into the socket on the asus
> > motherboard. any other ideas on how to ease it in?
>
> There really isn't any substitute for carefully straightening the
> pins.  It is tedious but can be successfully accomplished.  Just work
> carefully and patiently.  If you find yourself frustrated then pause,
> take a break, and then come back to it.  This is a task that requires
> careful patience rather like straightening a bicycle wheel.  In
> addition to the techniques you described you may need to squeeze a pin
> to straighten it if it is curved.  A pair of flat tweezers has worked
> for me for that purpose.
>
> Be careful of electro static discharge and do not "zap" it while
> trying to fix it!  Also be careful of bending any individual pin too
> much.  It work hardens the metal and in a bad case might break off.
>
> Side Note: Professional shops often have a metal block with the holes
> drilled representing the socket holes.  The holes are beveled to guide
> the pins into the right locations.  This type of custom made jig is
> often used to straighten pins.  We had several at my previous
> employer.

..cheaper ones can be "angle ground" off burnt etc main boards. ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: