Re: new cpu amd 810 Quad core (with 900 pins) some pins are bent any idea how to fix?

Mitchell Laks put forth on 11/12/2010 2:49 PM:

> I was making some pcs and after showing him how in another machine,  I assigned someone to
> put in a cpu and they bent some of the pins. there are about 900 !!! (around 30 rows of 30).
> Now it wont install into the socket AM3.

People who lack eye-hand coordination, have poor eyesight, are simply
clumsy, or are young, less than say, generally speaking, excluding
prodigies, 14-15 years old, should not be working on electronics.

Buy another CPU, chuck that one in the can, or hang in in a "trophy
case", and let this be a $50-$200 mistake the individual who dropped the
CPU, and others, can learn from.

Straightening bent CPU pins was much more possible when the pin count
was lower and the spacing wider, say socket 370/A and earlier.  The
current pin densities of 939 and up make straightening more than a few
bent pins fall into the "not worth the effort" category.

If you have more than a dozen bent pins, replace the CPU, each the cost,
learn the lesson.

Bent pins during handling/installation is actually a minor reason why
Intel created the Slot 1 interface.  The major reason was locking out
AMD from selling drop in compatible chips, but warranty claims due to
bent pins was a minor reason as well.

--
Stan