Re: can't serve php files in apache2

Zachary Uram wrote:
> Running Debian testing, I installed libapache2-mod-php5, php5,
> php5-common, php5-cgi, php-pear and created a test file "info.php"
> which is 1 line "<?php phpinfo(); ?>"
> However when I go to http://myserver.org/info.php it prompts me to
> download the PHP file instead of executing it and displaying the
> result. I've tried with firefox and IE and get the same result. Any
> idea how to get this working?

It reads as if the module is not enabled.  The module is enabled by
default after installation in the postinst script but in your case
there seems to have been a problem with that step.  Is your
/etc/apache2/apache2.conf missing?

Enable the module.

  $ sudo a2enmod php5
  $ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

The a2enmod and a2dismod utilities manage the symlinks in
/etc/apache2/mods-enabled.  Those symlinks point to the contents of
the files in /etc/apache2/mods-available.  It is similar to the
a2ensite and a2dissite utilities.

Bob