Re: Intel Wifi Link 5100 -> halt system on Squeeze

Felipe,
I have my Intel 5100 wireless card working again.

This is what I did:
1. Purged the firmware-iwlwifi 0.27 from my system.

2. Installed this one instead:
 firmware-iwlwi 0.24~bpo50+1   Binary firmware for Intel Wireless 3945, 496

I've downloaded this .deb from the lenny backports:
http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/firmware-iwlwifi

3. In order to troubleshoot I disabled the Network-Manager

4. Enabled the interface and configured it:
root@Aristoteles:~# ifconfig wlan0 up
root@Aristoteles:~# iwconfig wlan0 essid <ESSID_NAME>
root@Aristoteles:~# dhclient wlan0
done!

5. I prevent the firmware-iwlwifi 0.24 to be updated.
root@Aristoteles:~# echo firmware-iwlwifi hold | dpkg --set-selections

Check:
root@Aristoteles:~# dpkg --get-selections | grep firm
firmware-iwlwifi                hold

Definitively the culprit is the new driver. I tried the testing and the unstable driver but they just do not work properly. They will freeze my laptop as soon as I try to connect to a wireless network. My fix is just a band-aid and it can't be considered a good fix, but it works.

I hope this helps, cheers!
Eng. Andres Migliazzo.