Re: sandbox for Window$

* Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> [101111 08:21]:
> In <[🔎] 20101110213657.GA3376@rlharris.org>, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> >I think that my need is for a "sandbox" to isolate a Window$ computer.
>
> Assuming by "Window$" you mean MS Windows, you are posting to the wrong forum.
> This forum is not for MS Windows support issues.

I am not looking for MS Window$ support; actually, this question is
applicable to any OS.  The issue is isolation of a particular machine
having files to which machines in a protected network require access.

Perhaps I should have made clear the fact that I have a LAN composed
of machines running Debian, and I am loathe to allow a M$ Window$
machine (possibly infected with malware) to connect directly to the
LAN.

> OTOH, A sufficiently tuned iptables setup could do this on a Linux system, so
> there may be a similar solution with the MS Windows firewall or third-party
> firewall software for that OS.

I have not learned how to work with iptables, but I am thinking that a
Linux-based firewall-router such as SmoothWall might fill my need,
with the Window$ machine on the PURPLE (wi-fi) or ORANGE (public
server) port.

RLH