Re: Wayland & Unity -- any repercussions on Debian?

On 2010-11-09 07:53:19 -0600, Mark Allums wrote:
> On 11/9/2010 6:56 AM, Tom H wrote:

> >>I hope it's just an Ubuntu trend and not affecting/spreading to other
> >>distros>:-)
> >
> >Debian hasn't adopted upstart so why should it adopt unity? I'm sure
> >that it'll end up in the Debian repos for those of us who want to
> >try/use it. It would be fun (perverse, sadistic fun though!) to follow
> >any debian-devel thread started by someone proposing to make unity the
> >Debian default. :)
> >
> >So the stories about X being ripped out and replaced in Ubuntu
> >11.10/12.04/... might not be entirely accurate.
> >

> With Ubuntu 10.04, and even more so with Meercat and now with this,
> it seems like Ubuntu has jumped on the crazy train.  I hope they
> don't get *too* far away from Debian, for dozens of reasons, but it
> might be interesting to see what happens.  In the meantime, I hope
> Debian remains stable and reliable.

I like this phrasing, that Ubuntu "has jumped on the crazy train".  I
don't totally agree with that, but it really encapsulates a line of
thought.

A different idea is that Ubuntu is trying to be very forward-thinking,
because they want to be the Next Big Thing. I think they are looking
into the future and seeing: handheld computers, thin clients, cloud
computing, and whatever else is in their crystal ball.

For Ubuntu to thrive in the future, they need to be cool, modern,
slick, etc. Windows, Apple, and Google all are developing features to
make themselves the Next Big Thing. I think Ubuntu is looking around
the software landscape and trying to figure out what they can pick up
that will make themselves vital and modern. They want to "win" in the
popular imagination, and that will take some changes (according to their
crystal ball).