Re: Wayland & Unity -- any repercussions on Debian?

* On 2010 09 Nov 06:09 -0600, Klistvud wrote:
> Howdie, fellow Debianites!
>
> As you probably know, Ubuntu is planning to replace X11 with the
> Wayland Display Management System, and replace Gnome with Unity. X11
> and Gnome will still be in the Ubuntu repos, at least initially, but
> they won't be the Ubuntu default anymore.
>
> What are your opinions on the matter, will this have repercussions
> for Debian? *Should* it?

While there is a lot of cross pollination between Debian and Ubuntu,
they remain separate projects with differing goals.  Ubuntu using
Unity for its desktop shell will have no effect on Debian's default
desktop installation.  Unity will likely be available in the Debian
repos, assuming the licensing is compatible, of course.  I suspect the
same will be the case with Wayland.

I'm not going to join the shrill chorus rebuking Ubuntu/Canonical for
their decision.  I'm looking forward to how this will pan out as I think
there is room for some experimentation amongst distributions.

- Nate >>