Re: chips i3/i5 support

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 04:59:11 -0600, Mark wrote in message
<[🔎] 4CD7D7FF.4000109@allums.com>:

> On 11/8/2010 3:00 AM, Klistvud wrote:
> > Dne, 08. 11. 2010 07:30:34 je consul tores napisal(a):
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 14, which has 1 Intel Core i3 (330)
> >> or maybe 4. I installed Lenny amd64 having a few different
> >> problems, but i would like to install Squeeze on it.
> >>
> >> My question is, what should be the most suitable linux kernel for
> >> this laptop? Please tell me what specific information is needed.,
> >> if it were the case.
> >>
> >> thanks.
> >
> > Speaking generally, the most recent kernel should be best for recent
> > machines (more hardware support); in this case, the stock squeeze
> > kernel should do. Just try it out and see.
> >
> > For not quite so new machines, your mileage may vary.

..IME, hardware needs to be very old to lose e.g. X support,
I have a few ATI mach64 cards that I hear now needs "mach64"
in xorg.conf rather than the good old "ati" wrapper.

> The Squeeze kernel, 2.6.32, is suitable for Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs.  In
> general, Squeeze should work for most hardware; however, kernel 32 is
> actually fairly long in the tooth, and my opinion is that they should
> have picked a more recent kernel for the Squeeze release.  I plan to
> install 2.6.36 or 37 from Sid after Squeeze is released, which I
> think will be feasible.  (Of course 5-6 months, possibly sooner,
> after the release of Squeeze, I plan to move to Wheezy.)

..if you wanna try 2.6.36 and the most recent intel video etc
drivers, install Sid/"Unstable", then add "Experimental", I run
"aptitude -t experimental " after each normal update & upgrade.

> In other words, as Klitvud says, support for new hardware is
> successively added to each newer kernel, so the more recent your
> kernel version, the better support there will be for your PC, not
> only CPU, but all the various devices.

..in "production" in my 3 radeon boxes, a 2-tread 3.2G P4 with
an X850XTPE, an AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+ with an 9800Pro, both
on i686 and at 2048x1536x32bit@59.4 and 58.8fps, and a "core2"
T7200 laptop with "Mobility FireGL V5200" on amd64 and at the
native 1920x1200x32bit@60fps.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: