Re: VLC unable to open MRL

On 11/07/2010 06:36 AM, Matthias Andersson wrote:

Hi!

I have installed debian and activated the debian-multimedia.org
repository. I've installed the gstreamer packages ugly, bad, very bad.
I then installed vlc but now when I try to play a .m3p or .avi file in
vlc is always gives the error message "VLC is unable to open MRL" but
the same file works perfectly in Totem media player.

What am I missing?

vlc has always been "old reliable" for me when playing video, but honestly I've never tried playing audio files on it. (Aqualung and mpc are my audio players of choice.)

Run it from a terminal window so that you can see any errors.

$ apt-cache policy vlc
vlc:
  Installed: 1.1.3-1
  Candidate: 1.1.3-1