Re: VLC unable to open MRL

On 11/7/2010 6:36 AM, Matthias Andersson wrote:
I have installed debian and activated the debian-multimedia.org
repository. I've installed the gstreamer packages ugly, bad, very bad.
I then installed vlc but now when I try to play a .m3p or .avi file in
vlc is always gives the error message "VLC is unable to open MRL" but
the same file works perfectly in Totem media player.

What am I missing?

I don't know, but I had the exact same problem, except in reverse. VLC would play fine, but Totem either wouldn't play, or in one case, could not keep time synchronization.

My guess is that it's still the lack of the right codec(s), although that might be weird. An MRL is a "(Multi)Media Resource Locator", and playlists use them.

Are you running VLC from the command line, or from a GUI like GNOME? Give us the exact circumstances you are working under.