Re: An experiment about file timestamp

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 17:38:43 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

>> I think this may cause serious errors: in fact, when someone read the
>> timestamp on the 2nd PC, he would believe that the file were created at
>> 14:43 of the GMT time, which is wrong: in fact, it was created at 15:43
>> GMT = 14:43 UTC.
>

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> (...)
>>
>> Mmm, nope :-)
>>
>> I think you didn't get the whole picture.
>>
>> Look, it is very well explained in this Gentoo FAQ:
>>
>> ***
>> Consistent times on FAT filesystems over the whole year
>> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-579915-start-0.html ***
>

> But the above `experiment' has nothing to do with vfat partitions: both
> systems are linux ext3.

Ext3 does not expose that "time-moving" behaviour, just FAT.

> What I don't understand is how can a user from
> the 2nd system know that the file has been created at 14:43 UTC and not
> at 14:43 of its local time, since all files of his filesystem are
> displayed in the local time.

To avoid confusion, run "date" command on both computers, then create a
new file in computer 1 ("touch test_file") and then copy/paste the file
into computer 2. After that, put here the output of "stat
test_file" (runned from both systems) so we can get the full story >:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón