Re: Orphaned User Accounts?

Dne, 03. 11. 2010 15:15:40 je Carlos Mennens napisal(a):
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 9:50 AM, John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:
> Carlos Mennens writes:
> The entries you are complaining about are
> placeholders.  The idea is to standardize the UIDs of the various system
> users.  See section 9.2 of the Debian Policy manual.

Not so much of a complaint rather than just trying to understand how
Debian works. I still think that's a very large 'if' to clutter the
system based on the information provided so far but I'm far from a
developer. I would think developers could better configure the package
installer (apt) to assign standard UID / GID once that time comes the
user elects to install the software rather than pre-loading them but
that's just me. Maybe the more I read, the better this will make
sense.

I would think that developers, at some point, have to make choices; and, just as with some empty LSB (linux standard base) directories that get created on a bare-bones system, although there's no direct "need" for them and they simply stay there, unpopulated, the advantage of having them in place simply outweighs the negligible overhead they may impose on the system. If we were to look at stuff that takes more resources or disk space, I'm sure we would find that developers don't include them into a base system quite that light-heartedly.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.