Re: [OT] KMail - forwarding issues

On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 14:14:48 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> In <[🔎] pan.2010.11.01.11.10.00@gmail.com>, Camaleón wrote:

>>> Studies and experience have shown time and time again that users
>>> *don't know* what they want.  Henry Ford once said: "If I asked my
>>> customers what they wanted, they would have said 'A faster horse.'"
>>> It is an unfortunate truth, but usability problems are not solved by
>>> soliciting user input.
>>
>>Sorry but I have to disagree.
>
> Well, then you are wrong.  There a more than a decade of studies showing
> you are wrong.  I'll let you find them yourself.

Sigh. Then I'll have to live with that along with my need of having to
manage html e-mails in a world that cannot understand me :-)

> Users didn't want UNIX or C when it was invented. Users didn't want the
> GUI when it was invented.

Are you basing your argument in stating that all users in the world are
always wrong? Ouch, I wouldn't like to be in the marketing area nor in
usability studies field, what a waste of time...

>>> Yes you are.  There is a non-zero number of people on *this* mailing
>>> list that simply discard mails containing an HTML part.
>>
>>Again, that is a _personal_ decision, not a technical one. I have
>>nothing against personal views... just they're personal.
>
> My point still stands.  If you use HTML mail, you will lose readers.
> This is a bad thing.

And so is mine. Kmail will lose users that need that feature which now is
provided in a very limited state.

>>Any e-mail client out there can handle html formatting, so if someone
>>rejects e-mails formatted in that way is not because their MUA cannot
>>manage them.
>
> There are a number of client out there that, absent some custom
> configuration, render the "raw" HTML code.  This is virtually unreadable
> for most people, especially considering the poor quality HTML produced
> by most

Hey, it's html and one of its benefits is precisely that is "plain text"
and so "readable" with just the most primitive text editor. You can even
save the raw e-mail message and then render it within the web browser of
your choice (yep, lynx included).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón