Re: Attaching vs. pastebin for big outputs [was: Re: Installation Size Different - bug ?]

In <[🔎] 20101101103001.GD3365@think.homelan>, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>On Du, 31 oct 10, 12:15:22, Camaleón wrote:
>> Okay... next time instead of attaching the file to a message, better
>> uplaod the output to "www.pastebin.com" or similar service :-)
>
>Personally, I prefer to have the output attached.

I also prefer attachments, since they get stored in the mailing list archive
along-side the message.  Having them linked means its possible the URL dies /
moves / etc.

That said, anything over 128KiB should probably not be attached as-is.  It
seems like even the most clueless posters should be able to narrow down the
cause of the problem to smaller that that though.

The CoC doesn't give exact sizes, probably because what is "large" changes
over time.  Basically, I'd guess conservatively, then reduce the size
guideline I was using if someone complained and increase it if I saw an
attachment that was larger that no one had complained about.