hostname of remote computer

Hi,

I use SSH to connect to a laptop computer that is in an institutional
network.  I would like to set an entry for it in my local /etc/hosts, so
that I don't have to type the IP address every time I want to connect to
is and simply use an alias.  As per the man page, /etc/hosts has:

IP_address canonical_hostname [aliases]

To get the canonical_hostname I thought I'd easily get it by typing
"dnshostname" when logged into the remote laptop, but that returns
nothing, and "domainname" returns '(none)'.  How should this
canonical_hostname be specified in this case?

Cheers,

--
Seb