Re: how to tell what packages are unused on a debian server?

Chris Davies wrote:
The find statement thus becomes
    find $(readlink -f "$F") -atime -180

Okay, I got the exact same result.

If you're finding that everything is "in use" then at this stage it's
probable that you've made a filesystem backup with tar or cpio, which
obviously reads every single file, unfortunately making atime useless.

I use dump and restore test (I know some files will change and be inconsistent, but that is okay). I plan to use lvm snapshots soon to make sure everything is 100% consistent.

Don't use tar or cpio for backups.

I also use rsync for backups to other areas and remotely, so that might update atimes? I don't think it should.

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan