Re: how to tell what packages are unused on a debian server?

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 23:01 +1100, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >  just a cleanup-related question but on a debian lenny server that
> >i've inherited, i'm curious to know which packages have no value
> >whatever and that i can delete.  i recall there's a utility that will
> >identify unused libraries but i'm curious about what else i can
> >pinpoint that can be removed.

> When you remove items, you may want to purge them to be "cleaner".

In addition to purging installed packages I would also suggest to purge
already removed packages:

    aptitude purge ~c

will take care of that.

Another good way to find unused packages is 'popcon-largest-unused' from
the popularity-contest package.

/me is removing some packages now :)
--
  .''`.     Wolodja Wentland    <wolodja.wentland@ed.ac.uk>
 : :'  :

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.