Re: Unable to mount Android phone w/ Lenny

In <[🔎] 20101028162616.GA12582@shellium.org>, gun_smoke@shellium.org wrote:
>When I plug my phone in with the data cable supplied it will not mount,
>and does not show up as a device. However, it will continue to charge the
>phone as expected. Looking at dmesg I see the following. On the phone it's
>self it detects the USB have been plugged in and I have the option to
>mount or not. Selecting mount does nothing on Lenny's end.
>
>usb 5-2: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
>hub 5-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
>
>I've looked at google for a while to see if anyone else was having a
>similar issue and didn't see anything related to either my device, Samsung
>Galaxy SGH-T959.

I'm not running that model, but once I plug my Android-based device in via
USB, there is a notification on the device labeled "USB connected".  Once that
notification is selected, the device shows up as a USB block device; before
that it is speaking some other protocol.

So, I would look on your device from some way to enable file sharing via USB.
After that, look around for new /dev/sd* devices, there may not be a UI
notification, depending on what software you have installed and running.

"unable to enumerate USB device" might actually be a problem.  I get it
occasionally when plugging in my Android-based device, but I haven't tried
mounting it after getting that error.  If you don't always get this error (I
don't) you might try disconnecting the USB, waiting for both sides to fully
ack the disconnection, and then reconnecting the USB.

HTH