Re: su stopped working (after upgrade to squeeze)

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 14:48 +0200, Hanspeter Kunz wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 17:45 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 14:44:08 +0200, Hanspeter Kunz wrote:
> >
> > > I have a strange problem on one of my debian squeeze boxes. when I try
> > > to become root (or any other local user), su fails with
> > >
> > > 	su: Authentication failure
> > >
> > > and no, the password is correct :)
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > > My best guess is, that the problem is with my pam-configuration, but I
> > > have a lenny box with exactly the same pam-config that runs without
> > > problems.
> > >
> > > So any hints where to start looking are greatly appreciated.
> >
> > A very (very) wild guess... do you have installed "libpam-ldapd"? It
> > seems to be available for Squeeze/Sid but not for Lenny so maybe now that
> > you updated the system it could be a requirement to fulfill for ldap
> > logins :-?
>
> no I do not have pam-ldapd installed (I use pam-ldap). But thanks for
> the idea. I will investigate further.
>
> But any other ideas are still welcome.

just for the record, I finally tracked down the problem:

I had the line

	auth optional                  pam_smbpass.so migrate

in /etc/pam.d/common-auth.

Removing this line solves the problem. As I do not need password
migration anymore, this is fine for me. I will file a bug report.

cheers,
Hp