Re: Captured Video Not Producing Sound on Some Systems

Firstly, I want to take a moment to thank both of you people who
offered advice for your attempts to help.  Embarrassingly, it appears
that we were all following the wrong trail in our troubleshooting
after all.

Just out of curiosity, I brought up in Audacity the mp3 file from one
of the videos and saw that the left channel was blank, while all the
music was in the right channel (which I guess could be considered the
secondary channel in a stereo track.)  Apparently, some sound hardware
can't "hear" a file like this.  The channel with sound has to be the
left channel in a situation of this sort.

Investigating further, I determined that it was a hardware issue
involving the capture device.  The left and right audio from the Wii
were connected to an adapter that plugged them into a single input on
the capture device.  The adapter was this one:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/Scarletdown/Misc-Stuff/Audio-Splitter.jpg

Of particular note is the single black band on the tip.  I remembered
back when I was setting up the headset for my gaming center that a
similar single band adapter from line out was only giving mono sound,
but a double banded tip would give me stereo.  So, hoping that such
would be the same for line in, I dug up a suitable 2 banded adapter:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/Scarletdown/Misc-Stuff/Stereo-Input.jpg

And lo and behold, it works.  The one Deb box that was having problems
successfully played a freshly recorded video just fine.  Now
hopefully, I can manage to edit the other videos I already made so the
sound is properly in both channels so I don't have to try to
completely redo them.

So again, thanks for the help, even though we were all off base on the
problem.  At least I learned a little more than I knew starting out.
And as penance for feeling like I just wasted everyone's time, here is
my show stopping number freshly recorded for everyone's amusement (and
no, it is not a Rickroll).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGu1VfvrG68