Re: add downloaded program to menu or run it--how?

On 10/22/2010 05:25 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 15:11:50 -0400, Doug wrote:

I have downloaded synaptiks using synaptic package manager.  It shows up
as "installed" but it doesn't show on any menu, and I have no idea how
to run it.  (It disables the scratchpad when an external mouse is
connected.  This is much better than the default mode which only
disables the scratchpad while you are typing.)

As per its webpage:

http://synaptiks.lunaryorn.de/index.html

It seems that you can add a widget to launch it or going to KDE user
settings to configure the touchpad behaviour.

Greetings,

I'm afraId that I'm snowed by all this.  In the first place, I'm running
the standard Debian--the Gnome GUI, not KDE.  The file is here.
Somewhere.  There are a ton of synaptiks files under /usr/share/
kde4/services, but none are executable, and the filenames don't hint
at which might work if you chmod'd it.  Unix is so obscure.  At least
with DOS/Windows, you knew if a file ended in .com or .exe you
could execute it and see what happens.

In plain English, how does one get a file from the package manager
and run it?  What good is the p.m. if it just fills up your disk with
stuff that you can't execute?

So, what now?    --doug