Re: text-only login is root?

Hi, postid:

On Friday 22 October 2010 02:26:38 post id wrote:

> So how do I shut down X properly? On this laptop I
> usually do "shutdown -h now" from a console when I'm
> ready to quit.

That certainly will stop the X environment since what you are doing is
completly halting the machine.

In order to just stop the X environment but still running your computer you
can always do it "brute force": the key combination Ctrl-Alt-Delete will
forcibly stop "just" the X environment.  By doing this, you will see you are
returned to the controlling terminal and that the command prompt will be
restored (since the "startx program" is now stopped; remember my previous
message about it).

If startx is configured, as I suspect, to start not only the X-Windows system
but a window/desktop manager too (xfce, KDE, Gnome, whatever), there will be
somewhere within the window manager an option to shut it down (depending on
the environment, it will be accesable using your right mouse button or an
entry somewhere on the desktop bar).  This will allow for the GUI to
properly "clean itself" prior to stop so it should be considered the proper

But again, by what you say it seems that all you do from the text console is
launching your GUI and once you end up with your GUI you don't mean completly
stopping your computer.  Given that, I'd say you'd be better off by
installing a graphical login manager (you yourself suggested xdm) and forget
about all this.