Re: text-only login is root?

On 10/21/2010 04:49 PM, post id wrote:
I've set up a minimal system on one of my machines and used no
login manager -- I login at the prompt and type startx to start
the graphical session. Now I read a claim that if one didn't use
a login manager to log in and start X, then one  was logging in
with root privileges.

Hogwash.

If that were so, then such an exploit would have existed for 10+ years

                      That doesn't appear to be true since I
don't seem to have root privileges, although when I do
ctrl-alt-f1 I get a list of messages such as "Restore TV PLL,"
etc.

What kind of monitor is plugged into your PC?

     rather than a command prompt.

If you press enter a couple of times?

                                   I don't get that on my other
machines running graphical login managers. Do I have a security
problem here? If so, will just installing a lightweight login
manager (xdm?) cure it or do I need to change some settings
somewhere? I'd be thankful for advice. Please cc me since I'm not
currently subscribed to the list.

--
Seek truth from facts.