Re: Ethernet port dead

On Sunday 17 October 2010 01:40:44 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net> writes:

> >> But eth0 is not the device I'm using: the device I'm using as an
> >> ethernet port is eth1, but it doesn't appear in dmesg nor in lspci
> >> output: this is /etc/network/interfaces:
> >>
> >> auto lo
> >> iface lo inet loopback
> >>
> >> auto eth1
> >> allow-hotplug eth1
> >> iface eth1 inet static
> >> 	address 192.168.0.1
> >> 	netmask 255.255.255.0
> >>

> >> Rodolfo
> >
> > If lspci does't find your ethernet controller it probably died, that
> > happens. AFAIK lspci finds functioning hardware on the pci bus whether or
> > not modules for devices are installed.
> >
> > On a laptop, options are usb>ethernet  or a pcmcia card if available.
>
> If I can solve the proble with a simple usb-ethernet adapter, it's not much
> too bad.  How shall I configure the system with it?  The same way as the
> ethernet port, via the file /etc/network/interfaces?

One thing to be absolutely sure about is that the device is on a hardware
compatibility list (hcl) or has positive Linux reviews.. I don't use such devices
but in my experience,  a device needs to be shown to work reliably with a kernel
version, by more than one person, hence the hcl. I also like to shop (online) for
products where customers can review products, looking for Linux users.

Time spent on compatibility is far shorter than time trying to get some device
with a unknown chipset working.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.