Re: OT Firewire networking (was: Ethernet port dead)

On Saturday 16 October 2010 10:57:30 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Morgan Gangwere <0.fractalus@gmail.com> writes:
> > "dmesg | grep eth" gives the folloing output:
> >
> > eth1394: eth0: IEEE-1394 IPv4 over 1394 Ethernet (fw-host0)
> >
> > On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 16:15:12 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <> wrote:
> >> But... what kind of device is that? Are you using an adapter
> >> (firewire to ethernet)? :-?
> >
> > the 1394 standard says that a computer which supports 1394 must also
> > support "1394 networking". Short end of it, if you need to move some
> > data between two 1394 capable computers, you use that. They act like
> > normal, everyday, nondescript ether ports in software, no less.
>
> But eth0 is not the device I'm using: the device I'm using as an ethernet
> port is eth1, but it doesn't appear in dmesg nor in lspci output: this is
> /etc/network/interfaces:
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth1
> allow-hotplug eth1
> iface eth1 inet static
> 	address 192.168.0.1
> 	netmask 255.255.255.0
>

> Rodolfo

If lspci does't find your ethernet controller it probably died, that happens.
AFAIK lspci finds functioning  hardware on the pci bus whether or not modules for
devices are installed.

On a laptop, options are usb>ethernet  or a pcmcia card if available.

--
Peace,

Greg