Re: Debian Squeeze Boot-up stalls waiting for dhcp to obtain address

On Friday 15 October 2010 10:26:24 Arthur Machlas wrote:
> Configured to standby after 1 hr. Left
> computer. Computer went to standby after one hour. When resumed, no
> eth0 network interface in iwconfig. Network-manager logs have cryptic
> message about disabling eth0 for "reason 2".
>
> Can't rmmod and modprobe eth driver has no effect. service
> network-mananger restart has no effect. Reboot is only solution to
> bringing eth0 interface back up.

Check /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state.  I ran into a bug where
"NetworkingEnabled" would get set to false as part of the suspend process but
some issue (race condition?  I'm not sure.) prevented it from getting set back
to true.

This resulted in an nm-applet (Actually, the KDE version) responding, but not
connecting to the local AP and auto-connect also failing.  Restarting the
applet, restarting the NM daemon, and fiddling with the kernel modules still
didn't affect the relevant variable in state, so I wasn't able to get on the
network.

I eventually wrote a wpa_supplicant config and was able to bring the interface
up manually to search for matching issues.  Turns out a reboot or another
suspend/resume cycle probably would have resolved the problem.

> Take laptop to kitchen, reboot at some point, and boot-up process is
> slowed down while dhcp tries to obtain an ip address. This delays boot
> by about a minute while it tries and tries and tries and fails to get
> an ip address, and it won't ever get one because it's not connected to
> the network.

Yeah, that's probably going to happen if you have an "auto eth0" line in your
/etc/network/interfaces.  I ended up dropping both eth0 and wlan0 from my
/etc/network/interfaces because on this system it just makes more sense to use
NetworkManager.  (I have other systems where NetworkManager is banned because
it acts as a network mangler for non-trivial network configurations.)

If you think you need eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces for your NetworkManager
to work properly, you still might drop the "auto eth0" line (but leave the
"iface eth0 ..." line(s)).

HTH.  I'm on mostly Squeeze right now, but the installation is originally
Lenny that I configured to allow a mixture of
stable/backports/testing/unstable/experimental.