Re: Behavior of aptitude and autoremoving

In <[🔎] 87lj64k59x.fsf@turtle.gmx.de>, Sven Joachim wrote:
>On 2010-10-11 17:15 +0200, Gard Spreemann wrote:
>> $ aptitude install gcc-4.5
>>
>> The following NEW packages will be installed:
>>   cpp-4.5{a} gcc-4.5 libmpc2{a}
>>
>> *Snip*
>>
>> $ aptitude remove gcc-4.5
>>
>> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>>   gcc-4.5
>>
>> $ aptitude why libmpc2
>> id  cpp-4.5 Depends libmpc2
>
>Now this is interesting.  Although aptitude did not remove cpp-4.5
>automatically, it has marked it for removal.  When you start aptitude
>without arguments and press "g", it should tell you that it will remove
>cpp-4.5 and libmpc2.  At least that's what I get in Debian
>sid/experimental.

I thought that only happened when you had a PreDepend or something like that,
where one package has a prerm/postrm script that depends on another package.
E.g. gcc-4.5 having a prerm that needs something from cpp-4.5.

In any case, I've seen it before, and I assume aptitude is doing it for good
reasons.  Sometimes aptitude won't suggest a package be auto-removed until
*after* the "install/removal" run that removes something that Depends on it.