Re: Disable IPv6

James Brown on 08/10/10 08:11, wrote:
Just a quick question - can I disable IPv6 for my whole machine?

You can disable IPv6 system-wide by editing your module configuration
file. This is usually one of /etc/modprobe.conf or
/etc/modprobe.d/aliases, depending on your distro. Remove any references
to IPv6 and add these two lines.

alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

Is that going to do the job fine for lenny?
What is your distro, your kernel?
For lenny's kernel 2.6.26 you can include the file ipv6.conf into the
directory /etc/modprobe.d with the next content:
blacklist ipv6
For the next versions of kernel (i.e. 2.6.32) you can include the words
"ipv6.disable=1" into /boot/grub/menu.lst such as the next:
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-bpo.5-amd64
root=UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ipv6.disable=1 ro
Or compile your own kernel without ipv6 from sources.

OK so do I have a choice here? I can change /etc/modprobe.d/aliases and I can change /etc/modprobe.d/ipv6.conf

In /etc/modprobe.d/aliases there is a header with the warning

# Please file a bug against module-init-tools if a package needs a entry
# in this file.

I'm just about to reboot now so if I'm lucky this will be my only question - hopefully it won't break anything. I can't think of anything I'm running that I know needs IPv6.