Re: Excellent bootable usb - How to Duplicate?

On 10/08/2010 06:31 AM, Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 08:40:19PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 10/07/2010 07:21 PM, Thomas H. George wrote:
>>> I created this bootable 4Gb usb stick: Debian Lenny, 2.6.25.15 kernel.
>>> gnome, wacom mouse installed, network connection ok.
>>> one partition, 1.4Gb used and 2.5Gb available.
>>>
>>> I did it a year ago and I have lost my notes.  I know that the creation
>>> involved a mixure of Debian Live and debxo (One Laptop per Child)
>>>
>>> How can I create clones of this usb stick?
>>>

>> dd?
>
> When I tried dd it transferred all the files into a partition just large
> enough to hold them - 97% full.  There is free space for another
> partition but this is a rather inflexible solution.
>
> The stick has a single large partition with the operating system and a
> slew of programs occupying a little more than a third of the space.
> Additional programs can be installed if needed.

--deleted stuff--

The command you ran should have looked something like this:

  dd if=/dev/sd? of=/dev/sd? bs=1024K

where sd? would be something like sdc and sdd, respectively.  You may or
may not have used the bs= as there is a default for it.

What device names did you use?  To use dd and get the "whole" stick,
including partition table setup, you need the whole disk device name, a
single file name.  But, you said "...it transferred all the files ...",
which leaves me wondering how you did the input spec for dd.

--
Bob McGowan