Re: what will happen if CPU overheat

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 13:38, Long Wind <longwind2009@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a P3/550, slot 1
> the cpu fan is noisy, so I remove it
> but I am not sure about heat sink
>
> What will happen if CPU overheat?
> What damage will be done to other computer parts?

You'll just ruin the CPU, nothing else. I've ruined a few of them.

> BTW how effective is a fan?

Very. There is no "passive cooling", nothing is cooling that CPU
without the fan.

> If max room temperature is 35 degrees for a CPU with a fan,
> then, max will be decreased by how much if the fan is removed?

It doesn't matter if the room is 0 degrees. No fan -> burnt CPU. End
of discussion. Especially with a power-drainer such as a PIII.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com