Re: X & radeon & flash & youtube problem

Richard Hector <richard@walnut.gen.nz>:

>  I recently caved and installed flashplugin-nonfree on my squeeze system
>  (once the 64-bit player was re-released).
>
>  However, when I watch some (not all) youtube videos, the screens (2)
>  first go black, then (possibly triggered by switching to a text
>  console), get corrupted and start flashing. I see this kind of thing in
>  syslog:
>
>  Oct  4 21:22:01 zircon kernel: [ 9738.260100] [drm:radeon_fence_wait] *ERROR* fence(ffff880212632700:0x00011A27) 508ms timeout going to reset GPU

No comment; over my head.

>  .. so I think the flashing is probably when it resets the GPU.

Plausible.

>  This (because everybody loves cats) is an example video:
>  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KswnjMa-MQ

Just to say, that plays fine non-maximized on my HP Pavilion, AMD-64
Turion II (?).  It's only using %50 cpu according to gkrellm.  That's
fairly gentle from what I've encountered.

>  I have a:
>  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV730XT [Radeon HD 4670]
>  with the open source radeon driver.

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS780M/RS780MN [Radeon HD 3200 Graphics]

>  I'm running 64-bit on an:
>  model name	: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor

model name      : AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72

>  I've seen a few things with similar log messages from searching, but
>  none very recent, and none quite the same.

Just curious, but what does sensors (as root) say?  Methinks AMD
kernel/driver support is behind other cpu/gpu support.  Just a hunch.

>  I feel I should file a bug somewhere, but I'm not sure where's
>  appropriate, especially when running proprietary software - though

What proprietary software?  I thought you were trying to install squeeze?

>  no software should be able to screw up my system that badly.

Um, no, just do more research next time.  Boot it up with lots of live
CDs and see what works and why it works.  Persistence pays.