Re: Central configuration storage

Hi, Nick:

On Tuesday 05 October 2010 16:38:28 Nick Douma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a solution to store configuration files in a central
> location. My first guess was to look at LDAP, and see if you can use that
> for keeping track of configuration. The intended setup is a farm of
> webservers, database servers and the like, on Debian and Windows machines.

Forget about that: Windows configuration management will need to go its own
way, and everything else will probably be able to share common procedures.

> The point is to keep the configuration in a central location, so we can
> easily keep track of it and keep it seperated from the servers themselves.
> The final goal is to be able to more easily add new servers to the farm,
> that all serve the same data via loadbalancing.

The answer is obvious then; you should use a tiered solution with the
following "bricks":
1) Automated installation (maybe FAI)
2) Configuration management (the likes of Puppet or CFengine)
3) Deployment orchestration (things like Controltier)

> Is LDAP a suitable solution for the above problem? I started with looking
> for a LDAP configuration storage method for Apache 2, but didn't find
> anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or maybe give me a
> starting point.

Make a Google search about "devops" and see documents like this one:
http://dev2ops.org/storage/downloads/FullyAutomatedProvisioning_Whitepaper.pdf

Cheers.