Intel Wireless 4965AGN in ad-hoc mode

Hi,

I've been grappling with this for quite long and I would sincerely appreciate if someone here could point out what I've been missing.

I've been trying to get my wireless card working in ad-hoc mode however strangely my essid ends up with garbled characters. This happens only in ad-hoc mode, in managed mode the essid is retained correctly.

The specs of what I'm using are as follows:

Debian Testing
Kernel: Linux debian 2.6.32-5-amd64
Wireless card: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)
Driver: iwlagn
firmware-iwlwifi version: 228.61.2.24

I was using the 2.6.30 kernel and upgraded since in ad-hoc mode other devices could not see me and the essid would get garbled same as now. With the new kernel devices can now see me in a iwlist scan however since I can't set the essid of my device I'm unable to connect to any other network in ad-hoc mode.

Would sincerely appreciate if someone could point me out to what I should try next.

Thanks,
Jeetu
http://ebrain.in
- Pool in, discover and use all software on devices around you connected via the mesh network.
*Developer code now released*