Re: squeeze /etc/kbd/remap replace caps with ctrl

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 10:11:17AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Volkan YAZICI wrote:
> > Bob Proulx writes:

> > > Works for me.  Please show us exactly what you have tried.
> >
> > That's exactly what I've tried.
> > Below is the original content of this file.
> > Would you mind sharing your own /etc/kbd/remap configuration?
>
> /etc/kbd/remap?  I don't have that file installed.  (I don't have the
> 'kbd' package installed.  I have 'console-tools' installed.)  I
> thought you were talking about /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz.  Sorry.
> My bad.  You were clear enough about it in your original posting but I
> didn't read it correctly.
>
> >   # This sed script is run across the dumpkeys output to remap keys on the console
>
> Since that sed command changes a input keymap file into a modified
> keymap file it would make sense to look at the input and make sure it
> has a line "keycode 58 = Caps_Lock" in the input that can be
> transformed to the desired output.  I suspect that it is not in the
> input and therefore cannot get converted to "keycode  58 = Control"
> and therefore not getting configured as you desire it.  I am guessing
> that the input file is either empty or minimul and this is defaulting
> to the kernel map.
>
> My own /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz file contains a key assignment
> for all keys on my keyboard (which probably would not be suitable for
> other keyboards) including the following line:
>
> keycode  58 = Control

I don't know what the difference is between console-tools and kbd, but
I have console-tools installed and my final keymap (ie, after it's
changed once or twice during the boot process) is pointed to by a line
in

/etc/default/keyboard

which in my case is

KMAP=/etc/console-setup/rus.kmap.gz

which is a file I edited by hand.  It happens to be in that directory
simply because I edited another file there to produce it.

If, Volkan, you also have the /etc/default/keyboard file, you could go to
the keymap file it points to and make that change to keycode 58 (and the
converse change to keycode 29, pesumably) quite simply by hand.

Cheers,
David