Re: Installation issues of Debian 5.0.6 "Lenny"

Dne, 04. 10. 2010 12:36:20 je David Shum napisal(a):

I install Debian Lenny 5.0 (Update 6) using the CD ISO image downloaded from debian.org. I burn the image to a DVD, put DVD into my Hewlett Packard dv6-3030tx notebook (Intel i5-540M on Intel HM55 chipset), then via the HP BIOS, I boot my DVD drive. I successfully enter into the splash screen which gives me four options: 1) Install 2) Graphical Install 3) Advanced
Options 4) forgot this one...

When I select 1), the installation process jumps to a black screen that displays various messages, with the last message being "kernel panic". I think this may be the issue when you mentioned that since this may not be
the most recent kernel, may be the problem??

Or you may just have errors on your DVD ... Also, the installer for x64 won't work on a 32-bit machine (although it would give you a warning about that, instead of going into "kernel panic" mode). You *are* sure you have the right installer for your hardware architecture, right? Specifically: the "ia64" installer is not meant for the usual PC hardware; "i386" and "x86_64"
are.

Although I will try and search this myself, may I have some clues as to how I can "pull out" this old Linux kernel, and hop into "debian backports" and
plug in a newer Linux kernel? Then try and install.

It was my understanding that you could boot to a command line interface (virtual terminal in Linux parlance; in Debian it's also called single-user mode). If you can, first surf to http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/ (from another machine) and just follow the instructions. Basically, you add a line (as per the instructions) to the file /etc/apt/sources.list and then issue the command

aptitude

Once inside aptitude, you select "refresh" to make aptitude register the new software repository "backports" and then proceed to install a new kernel from backports. If you're not familiar with aptitude, you should read a good tutorial on it (or just issue "man aptitude" to read its manual). Also, selecting just the "right" kernel from backports is *not* always a trivial matter IMHO, although they are logically named and numbered. If you're fairly new at this -- or if you can't even boot to a command line interface -- it would perhaps be easier for you to simply install Squeeze instead of Lenny? It's your choice really. One thing I can recommend, if you do try out Squeeze: don't bother with DVDs (I doubt complete DVDs even exist at this point), just download a "netinstall" CD image: if you have a working Internet connection, the installer will pull everything needed off the Internet for you anyway.

I will also try and install Debian 6.0 Squeeze and see how that goes. I read that for Squeeze release, there is one for i386 and AMD based on the kFreeBSD kernel. So, does this mean that future releases will be based on
FreeBSD kernel?

No, it only means that besides the Linux kernel, Debian is now capable of running on the FreeBSD kernel too. Haven't tried it yet though, as I have never been able to install any of the BSD OSes myself (couldn't get past the disk "slices" thingy, so I finally gave up).

> I also was able install Debian into this machine I am typing my email on >> now, which is an ASRock desktop board based on AMD 880G chipset and AMD >> Athlon II X4 640 processor (quad core), but when I loaded the operating
>> system, the monitor went into screen-saver and froze.

Have you tried to boot into single-user mode on this machine?

--
Regards,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801