Re: question/answer website for user support: shapado.debian.net

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 21:35:34 +0200, Klistvud wrote:

> Dne, 03. 10. 2010 20:10:28 je Camaleón napisal(a):
>
>> > Thus disgregating limited "work force" between two competing
>> > environments.
>>
>> Newcomers seem to be more confortable with forums (mostly young users)
>
> By setting up a web application that simply "mirrored" the mailing lists
> ("translated" them into forum form), we could have the best of both
> worlds.

I think it's not that simple, I'm afraid :-)

But indeed, that would be great. Anyway, I'm using nntp to read and send
e-mails to the lists, I find it the most suitable way to handle lots of
lists and messages (I do not want to locally store the e-mails and a
newsreader is very flexible, as it lets me configure how long the
messages will be available on my disk. In the event I need more messages,
I can re-fetch them again).

The only service providing such kind of feature is Gmane (mail to news)
and would be also great to have our own Debian nntp multi-gateway system,
providing a convergence between nntp, mailing lists and forum, a true all-
in-one service :-}

(ahh, dreaming is free...)

> People comfortable with mailing lists would continue to use it
> in the "mailing list" form whereas people comfortable with forums would
> use it in the "forum form"; the application would transparently
> integrate the two, sending any new forum post to the relevant mailing
> list and, vice versa, pasting any new mailing list message into the
> forum.
>
> Of course, I don't have the faintest idea how difficult would it be to
> implement such an application ...
>
> Just my 2¢

Yep. And I'll give it up an Euro (1€) for that :-P

Sometimes is not even a matter of taste but a must. I know there are many
Debian users that can only use e-mail to communicate with the world (no
Internet access, no web browsing, nada) and mailing lists are of great
help for them.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón