Re: [OT] a radar-like tracking device

On 2010-09-30 23:58:58 +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> On 2010年09月30日 23:34, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> > # If it works outdoor it's enough. No need to use indoor.
> > # If it can find the 'partner' in 150 meters it's good enough. 300 meter
> > even better. Longer not needed.
>
> In fact, consider the low requirement of the application, a simple
> device like this will do:
>
>    1. have a button on one device
>    2. have a beep device on the other
>    3. if I press the button it give a short beep so loud that I can hear
>       in 150 meters
>
> Then I will be able to use the nature radar: my hearing ability, to
> locate the object. It's actually pretty precious, precious for my
> scenario. With a single beep I have both angel information and distance
> information. (To not to bother others too much, using a recorded dog
> bark instead of a beep would be helpful.)

Maybe radio could do what you need. A lot of household stuff like
cordless phones and wirless routers work with radio, and have a
range like you're talking about. Radio would work well outdoors.

You can try googling "radio homing device". I found stuff like the
following links at the top of the results:

[1] http://www.hopperanalytical.com/blog/arduino-homing-device-prototype
[2] http://www.spyreview.co.uk/2007/07/02/personal-homing-device-find-your-stuff/

Just an idea,

Phil