Re: creating a logical volume with a disk with existing data

On 9/29/2010 5:51 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
On 9/29/2010 4:53 PM, Nuno Magalhães wrote:

Question 0: won't extending an existing lvm partition fragment it?

Sorry, I missed this question. If the expansion is on a separate disk, don't worry about it, it will create multiple I/O paths and maybe speed things up. If it's on the same disk, it's kind of a fragment, but it's no different than having multiple partitions. It might be bad if some kinds of layouts had pathological usage, so that the disk was constantly moving the heads back and forth, but for nearly everything, I wouldn't worry about it.

Question 1: is it feasable under linux (and an Asus m2npv-vm) to use
RAID as well? I was considering RAIDing 160GB since the drives are of
different sizes, maybe RAID 0 or 1, but i'm not sure such complexity
is worth it and even though the mb supports it, i think it's more sw
than hw-raid. But this is highjaking already.

RAID is definitely feasible under Linux. You would be using software
RAID, but Linux has very good software RAID. No need to use the mb RAID.
Use Linux RAID. (mdraid)

I forgot to mention that there is support for several mb chipset "fakeraids", the package is called "dmraid" (not to be confused with mdadm and mdraid).

Forget about it. There's no need to bother with it. Just let Linux see the disks as normal disks, install the "mdadm" package, and let the system assemble the arrays at boot time. You can do this at install time, too, the Debian installer will let you configure Linux software RAID, and it will install mdadm right from the beginning. (The RAID support itself is in the kernel. mdadm is a utility.)