creating a logical volume with a disk with existing data

I have a 500 GB disk that is full and I would like to use it and a new 1 TB disk to create a 1.5 TB logical volume.  Is it possible to do this without destroying the data on the 500 GB disk?

The manpage for pvcreate gives a warning that running pvcreate on a whole disk will erase the partition table (and therefore the data), but doesn't say what the effect is when running on an existing partition.

I haven't used lvm2 before, and although it seems straightforward to create logical volumes with empty disks, I couldn't find any info for disks with existing data.

Thanks.

--
Chris Purves

"Whence come I and whither go I? That is the great unfathomable question, the same for every one of us. Science has no answer to it." - Max Planck