RE: nvidia-kernel-2.6-amd64 vs nvidia-kernel-dkms method

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 23:45:01 -0500 <mark@allums.com> wrote:
>
>>> Has the nouveau code been stripped from the nvidia-kernel-2.6 packages
>>> so that it only used the NVIDIA driver module?
>
> They were still in staging, last I looked. That means that you have to
> enable staging drivers in the kernel source configuration and compile a
> custom kernel. This may not be the case for very recent kernels, such
> as 2.6.35/36, but I haven't checked lately.

I believe this is correct judging by:

24.3.2010 posted by xavier

Merge of 2.6.34-rc2.

 On Monday, nouveau git tree went straight from 2.6.32 to 2.6.34-rc2. One backlight API change
in 2.6.34-rc2 breaks compatibility with older kernels (<
2.6.34-rc2), so people doing out-of-tree builds will have to update
their kernel to rc2. Alternatively, you could try to revert the backlight commit.

[1] http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/