Re: nvidia-kernel-2.6-amd64 vs nvidia-kernel-dkms method

Has the nouveau code been stripped from the nvidia-kernel-2.6 packages
so that it only used the NVIDIA driver module?

They were still in staging, last I looked. That means that you have to enable staging drivers in the kernel source configuration and compile a custom kernel. This may not be the case for very recent kernels, such as 2.6.35/36, but I haven't checked lately.