Re: Garbled PDF: missing fonts?

Dear Sjoerd,

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 01:20:12AM +0200, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:51 -0500 Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> > I have a problem opening the following PDF:
> >
> > http://www.wiley-vch.de/berlin/journals/phiuz/07-04/Weizsaecker-Interview-Weblayout.pdf
> >
> > All PDF viewers on Debian seem to produce garbled output. Am I missing
> > some fonts, or is there something else amiss?
>
> If you open this pdf with evince, and have a look at
> File > Properties > tab 'Fonts', then you will see that all fonts
> except SymbolMT are 'not embedded', which means that they are missing
> from the pdf. A good pdf should contain the used fonts, so it is
> clearly at fault here.

Indeed. I can confirm that this is the case.

> If you open the pdf with Adobe Reader, and have a look at
> File > Properties > tab 'Fonts', then you see that Adobe Reader
> replaces the missing fonts with other fonts that it apparently carries
> with it. Notably, the main text font, which is Garamond, is replaced
> with 'Adobe Serif MM', and although it looks fine, it differs from the
> original font.
>
> Installing msttcorefonts does not help here, because it does not
> contain the Garamond font. AFAICT Garamond is part of W2000 and XP.

Yes, since I have the msttcorefonts installed.

> One option would be to get the Garamond font (three .ttf files) from
> some Windows installation and install it, e.g. just by putting it into
> ~/.fonts . I see that evince shows the text just fine then.

Thanks. This does seem to work; but there is the slight problem that
the characters umlauts didn't render properly; that is probably
because the version of the font I used didn't have that encoding. But
this is something I can get over myself.

Thanks again!

Kumar
--
But what can you do with it?
		-- ubiquitous cry from Linux-user partner