Re: What is blocking my sound?

On 09/23/10 18:42, T o n g wrote:
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 18:11:09 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:

Usually the fix is to close all instances of Firefox until I find the
culprit, and sound returns.

The alternative to above headaches is use alsa as much as possible, not
oss! E.g.,

- use aplay instead of play.
- install libsox-fmt-alsa so that sox (ie play) uses alsa interface
instead of oss.

HTH

The last time I tried aplay, it did not work. I don't remember what the problem was. If I simply use aplay to try and play the file I get the same error. I will have to power down the machine and try it again when I get a chance. No time this weekend.

On 09/23/10 19:14, Felipe Sateler wrote:

> lsof /dev/snd/* /dev/dsp /dev/sndstat

This returns nothing, but I am still getting the same error when I try to play the file.