What is blocking my sound?

I am running Lenny, with alsa and udev. Frequently then sound on my system just stops working. When it does, I run the following command to check if the sound device is in use, or there is some other cause:

	'aoss play ~/public_html/footpain/media/montoya.wav

Usually, as the following output shows, the device cab not be opened:

	ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:996:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
	play soxio: Can't open output file `default': cannot open audio
	device

Usually the fix is to close all instances of Firefox until I find the culprit, and sound returns. I just killed all running instances of firefox and can not think what else could have grabbed the device and not released it. Is there a way to determine what process is using the device so that I can kill the appropriate thread instead of using trial and error?

Thanks for any ideas.

--
Marc Shapiro