Re: Debian not running in Windoof 7 Virtual PC (in VirtualBox)

On 23/09/10 07:38, Mark Allums wrote:
> On 9/22/2010 3:14 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> That may be true for some virtualization software, but not for all.
>> My "day job" is as a system programmer for IBM mainframe systems,
>> and among my duties is responsibility for a z/VM system.  In z/VM,
>> nested virtualization is not difficult, pointless, or unstable.  I
>> routinely
>> install a new release of z/VM in a virtual machine running under
>> the production release of z/VM, for example.  There's even instructions
>> in IBM's installation manuals for how to do this.
>

> This is the exception that proves the rule.  I still think that doing it
> under an AMD64 or Intel x86_64 is probably futile under the current
> state-of -the-art.
>
> I know it's been done under a XEN hypervisor.  I don't know about
> Virtualbox.  If you do it and it's stable, like I asked another poster
> in another thread, please write a HOWTO and show everyone how it's done.
>
> I am aware of the old MVS and all that, running DOS and CMS and so on
> all at the same time, but I'm a decade too young to have any experience
> with that.  All I can say I've done is write COBOL and JCL with Report
> Writer under WYLBUR for a class.

(Still haven't had my coffee yet)
Perhaps I forgot to reference the "ps - illegal instruction" thread in
my original thread - my apologies.
Nested virtualization is *not* the point or objective of the exercise -
enabling installation of Debian in W7VPC *is*.

Hypervisor is a very common "exception" in my experience - I guess it
depends on what you're exposed to in the workplace.

Cheers

--
*In case you never receive this mail, please notify me immediately*