Re: wireless adapters

Dne, 21. 09. 2010 06:12:48 je William Kindler napisal(a):
I want to switch to a Linux or UNIX based OS, but can't seem to find out if the wireless adapters I have are supported. I have a USB device which is a D-Link DWA-130, and a PCI adapter which is a Netgear WN311T. I have not been able to find out the chipset in the NETGEAR, and can find no information other than vague references to the D-Link. Does anyone know if either or both of these devices are supported with Debian? If so could you tell me where the drivers can be obtained, and where to install them, if they are not native to the Debian distribution?

--
Bill Kindler

Trying out a recent live GNU/Linux CD or DVD -- the newest Ubuntu comes to mind -- would eliminate all guesswork. Of course, it's not a full proof method, but it can give you a hands-on estimate as to whether your wireless cards will work. That said, there *is* a Linux HCL lurking somewhere in Google, if you care to find it. That said, you may still have problems getting the things to work in Debian, particularly in Stable. That said, there are easily accessible backported kernels to help you with that. So all in all, firing up a good recent live distro is what I'd do first, just to get my bearings.

--
Regards,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801