Re: [Solved] My lenny picks the wrong resolution whereas squeeze is right

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 12:24:34 -0400 (EDT), Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:05:58 +0000, Tong wrote:
>> To recap, either adding that ModeLine or this Virtual line work, whereas
>> the latter is better.
>
> Uhm... I'm afraid now you have to explain why "the latter is better" >;-)

I don't speak for Tong, but I believe I can answer that question.  It is
better because it is less hardware-specific.  For example, one can replace
the LCD flat screen display with a CRT monitor without having to derive
a new modeline.  Timings which are optimal for an LCD display, which use
reduced blanking times and a 60 Hz vertical refresh rate will not be optimal,
or may not even work, with a CRT monitor.  Specifying the virtual desktop
size explicitly is not as good as having the X server figure it out itself,
as Squeeze does, but it is better than hard coding a specific mode line
because it is more hardware independent.

There are situations where a custom mode line is the way to go.
For example, I use one on one of my PCs.  But I do so because the mode
selected by the X server by default produces unacceptably high flicker.
That is a function of the limited video bandwidth of my old (and cheap)
monitor.  I get around it with a custom interlaced mode which I designed.
But I only do stuff like that when I have to.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :