Re: Blu-ray status in Linux

On 9/18/2010 1:39 PM, Kevin Ross wrote:
On 9/18/2010 7:39 AM, Camaleón wrote:
Or just to put it in other words, what is the current status of the Blu-
ray technology in Linux?

It seems there is a project¹ that allows viewing such media type, but
does it work nice, has any drawbacks...?

¹ http://themediaviking.com/software/bluray-linux/

I don't know about mplayer or VLC, but MythTV 0.24 now has support for
playback of BluRay discs, although I believe it's currently limited to
AACS-protected discs, and not BD+. I hear that the libbdplus BD+
decryption library is maturing as well.

AACS is broken, but few discs are protected using it. All recent discs ad BD+, AFAIK. Decrypting BD+ works when you have a key, but every time a BD+ key becomes known, they just switch to a new key. It's a losing game.

I'm not interested in cracking protection, I just want to watch the movie, and do it under Debian, not Win/OS X/etc.

(I have some old HD-DVD discs I would like to watch, as well. My optical drive can read those discs. The AACS crack works here, but the discs are not ISO standard, or at least they are not *nix-friendly. They can only be read under root, but VLC won't run as root. It's catch-22. Any advice?)