Blu-ray status in Linux (was: Does the HDCP crack have any implications for Debian?)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 22:29:49 +0100, Angus Hedger wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:12:47 -0500 Mark Allums wrote:

(...)

>> I'm not interested in that, but I wondered if that meant that we would
>> eventually be able to play Blu-Ray on Debian machines.  Do you suppose
>> we will see Blu-Ray support in VLC anytime soon?

(...)

> It means that BR playback on linux is closer, for example windows has a
> protected content layer that passes the content from the player to the
> screen, with this key you could build something like that for windows.

Mmmm, just out of curiosity (as I don't own a BD player neither have Blu-
ray discs to play) but, do you mean there is currently no way to play Blu-
ray in Linux? :-?

Or just to put it in other words, what is the current status of the Blu-
ray technology in Linux?

It seems there is a project¹ that allows viewing such media type, but
does it work nice, has any drawbacks...?

¹ http://themediaviking.com/software/bluray-linux/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón